FEBRUARY - MARCH 2017
4 months ago
X-Factor is a free after school program provided by Standard District through an After School Education and Safety Grant for students in first through eighth grade. This program is offered at Highland, Wingland, Standard Elementary, and Standard Middle School for 1st through 8th graders.
To register for the 2016-17 school year you must attend the next parent orientation, scheduled for February 16, 2017, at 6:00 pm in the Standard Elementary cafeteria.
In order for your child to attend and/or be placed on a waiting list for the sites that are already full, the Parent Orientation is mandatory. The next Parent Orientation is:
February 16, 2017- Parent Orientation, 6:00 PM at the Standard Elementary Cafeteria (corner of N. Chester and Minner)
March 23, 2017--Parent Orientation, 6:00 PM at the Standard Elementary Cafeteria (corner of N. Chester and Minner)
IMPORTANT X-FACTOR DATES & NEWS
Currently all of our programs are full and waiting list applicants are being considered as openings occur. We have many wonderful things going on at all campuses in the afternoons. We have a variety of clubs at each campus which may include: drama, dance, chess, guitar, fencing, science, art, bike/scooter, and many more.
January 26, 2017, 5:45 PM--Highland Elementary X-Factor Showcase
February 13, 2017--Lincoln's Birthday--School closed, no X-Factor
February 20, 2017--Washington's Birthdday--School closed, no X-Factor
April 6, 2017--4:00 PM--Wingland Showcase, Under the Sea, Into the Sky, and Beyond
April 10-17, 2017--Spring Break--We will have X-Factor on the minimum day, 4/7/17
May 12, 2017--Highland Spring Showcase, 5:00-6:00 PM
May 29, 2017--Memorial Day, School closed, no X-Factor
May 31, 2017--LAST DAY OF X-FACTOR FOR 2016-17 SCHOOL YEAR
June 1, 2017--Last Day of School, No X-Factor
On Wednesday, December 21, 2016, Standard Elementary and Standard Middle School dance troops had their winter performance. They brought the house down. Shortly after the dance teams performed, the drama team presented "A Charlie Brown Christmas." Students, parents and staff enjoyed the play tremendously. We are so happy to be able to provide these types of opportunities for our Standard Students through the after-school program.
IMPORTANT COMMUNICATION INFORMATION
One of the best ways for us to continue meeting as many needs as possible in our school and district community is through good communication. If you have concerns and/or compliments for what is happening at your school's after-school program please feel free to contact one of our staff members from the links HERE
X-Factor Twitter Account
Another way to keep informed about X-Factor is to follow us on Twitter @standardXfactor. Updates will be posted for each site. Check to see what special events are coming up, what activities the students have been experiencing, and any emergency information.
What is X-Factor?
X-Factor is a FREE 3-hour extended learning program for 1st through 8th graders that provides:
- Homework help
- Academic activities
- Physical Fitness activities
- Enrichment activities
- Daily Snack
Some of the activities that will be offered this year included puppet shows, music and dance, drama, science clubs, talent shows, arts and crafts, sports and active recreation, technology opportunities and much more. We will continue to partner with the Sheriff's Activity League for monthly activities, the Bakersfield Bike Club, Jam Basketball Team, NOR Water Agency, and many others community organizations. Students build confidence, relationships, and skills. For more information, contact Jan Unfried, 392-2110, or click here to e-mail her. Registration forms are available in the district office at 1200 N. Chester Ave.
- How do I get my student into X-Factor? You must fill out an application (available only upon attending the Parent Orientation). Each year those who are already enrolled will have first choice for the following year's enrollment. Those applications will be available through the X-Factor office on your site. Even if a site is full, you need to get your application in so that your child can be placed on the waiting list.
- How do I find out where my child is on the waiting list? You need to call the site supervisor for your child's school (see names and phone #s below). They will be able to let you know how many students are in front of your child for their grade level.
- How often can a student miss X-Factor before being dismissed? As long as students have an excused absense from the regular day, they have an excused absense from X-Factor. However, multiple excused or unexcused (more than 3) absences from the after-school program puts your child at risk of being dismissed. We want students who can benefit from the service as many days as possible. The decision will be made by the site supervisor after talking to the parents/guardians about the issues.
- Can I switch my child to a walker on certain days? Walkers must have signed written permission. Parents cannot call in permission for a student to walk. It is in the best interest of the child and the program for them to stay until pick-up time, especially after the time changes and it is dark ealier. Students who walk home miss some crucial enrichment time.
- Why do we have to show ID? For the safety of the students we check ID of everyone until the staff becomes familiar with the person who is picking the child up. If someone new comes (they must be on the list of approved people to pick up the child), they should expect to be asked to show ID. They will have to go back to their car if they are not carrying it with them.
Our Staff: We are awating a couple of Program Leaders for Highland and Standard El. The list will be updated as soon as we have the positions filled. We are excited to await the newest family additions for Ms. Jennifer Rodriguez and Marshall Johnson (Boys & Girls Club Area Director), both due any day!
|School||Site Supervisor||Program Leaders|
|Highland Elementary||Tracy Kisselburg|
392-2144 or 343-4308
|Alexis Avila, Jennifer Rodriguez, Catalina Lemus-Carrera, Christina Ruiz, Jacqueline Smith, Donita Marchel, Jessie Fallagan, Lupita Sandoval|
|Standard Elementary||Victor Monsibias|
392-2147 or 345-6823
|Brittany Martin, Arika Kisselburg, Ashley Ruiz, Seth Carlson|
|Alyssa Slade, Teresa Wyatt, Samantha Mayfield, Jennifer Huss, Kelly Rutter, Olivia Figueroa|
|Standard Middle||Zachary Griffin 345-7950||Matthew Garcia, Karina Aguirre-Lopez, Lindsay Harrison, David Flores|